You’ve come to the right place for learning about…
- EQ’ing vocals.
- Eliminating feedback.
- Working with musicians.
- Creating a consistent mix week-after-week.
- Making award-winning chili (it made for a great mixing analogy, at the time.)
- All the fundamentals of church audio, both techie and non-techie stuff.
About Me (My Short Story)
My name is Chris Huff and I live in Indiana where there is corn, corn, and more corn. Back when I was in high school, ere long ago, I starting mixing live audio.
Fast forward twenty+ years and I’ve headed up a church audio / video team and mixed in more places than I’d have ever imagined. Now, along with mixing audio at Greenwood Christian Church, I’m teaching other sound techs how they can transform their audio productions from “wow, I survived” to “wow, that was great!”
Just so you know what you can expect from me…
- I love teaching audio, especially the fundamentals. I see the greatest improvements in audio production when people re-visit the basics.
- I’m honest. If I think a product is bad, I’ll tell you.
- I believe in supporting the church pastor, the worship leader, the musicians and the congregation while bringing in the aspects of professional audio production. For instance, I’ll teach you how to support the drummer but not in a way that greatly sacrifices your audio quality.
- I’ve walked off a golf course mid-game…twice. I have an 18 handicap (I average 1 over par per hole) so when I hit seven balls in the woods in four holes, I was humbled…and out of balls. God keeps me humble.
- I used to play guitar on a worship team. Having been in that position, it gives me a good perspective on the needs of the musicians. I can say I’ve been on both ends of the microphone cable.
If you think my name is familiar, then you might have read my articles in:
About You (The Audio Techies)
You are behind the mixer working to elevate a great sound to God and to the congregation. Now you see why I call this site, “Behind the Mixer.” I want you to be a blessing to your congregation. I want to HELP YOU be the best sound tech you can be.
I consider you one of my world-wide tech team members. For that reason, I answer your tweets, facebook questions, blog comments, and emails with the mind-set that you and I are working in the same sound booth towards the same goal…because, in a way, we are.
Many a friendship has started when a member of my global tech team sent me an email with a question and the conversation grew and grew. Did I mention I love supporting everyone in the technical ministry? It’s probably obvious.
- Steven W.
Join My Tech Team
If you are reading this, then I consider you my fellow techie. Join me and my growing global tech team of over 5,000 techies by subscribing to Behind The Mixer. You’ll get a free ebook (always cool) and you’ll get an email from me every two weeks with news on new gear, links to the latest articles, and a detailed “pro tip” which is usually around 400 words.
Drop your email in the below form. Oh, no worries as your email address is protected.
A Final Note of Thanks
THANKS TO YOU! Thank you for working in church audio. It’s a field where few are called and it’s a joy to be in your company.
Your brother in the sound booth,
P.S. The Photographer
Michael Lee is the fab photographer who took the great shots of me or my hands on the mixer. Check him out for any of your photography needs.
And before I forget…
Gotta keep everything legally legit so here is the Disclosure Statement. This required because I sell my own products or use affiliate link to products.
*The thoughts and views I express on this web site are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of my church.