I remember what it was like learning anything I could concerning live audio production. The day I finally got a good mix on the pastor’s acoustic guitar, I realized I had no idea what to do with his vocal channel! Add in the stress from the voice in my head saying, “don’t mess up” and I was a nervous wreck.
You have a lot of demands and responsibilities on your shoulders when you are behind the mixer. Believe me, I get it. Now take away the stress. Remove any uncertainty about volume levels or how you should mix the band. Imagine you have the house mix set right. Imagine the musicians are happy. Imagine the congregation is fully engaged in worship. Finally, imagine the pastor’s thrilled knowing you are behind the mixer.
What You’ll Learn:
- Discover the road map for navigating through the detailed work of audio production. The guide walks you through every step of church audio production, from when you walk in the door to when you leave. You’ll even learn what to do during the rest of the week.
- Learn how to produce a church service which keeps all eyes focused upfront while avoiding a host of amateur mistakes. You’ll soon be avoiding the mistakes that disrupt a church service or lead to a sub-par audio mix.
- Quickly learn technical concepts without being bored to death. For example, you’ll learn the five characteristics of a microphone and how they contribute to feedback reduction, improved sound isolation, and a better sounding instrument or vocal.
- Find out the steps for creating a good music mix week-after-week. You’ll use this easily-repeatable process for creating a solid music mix. This means you can tackle the biggest worship bands. You’ll even learn how to get the pastor’s voice to sound great.
- Discover how you can meet the needs of the pastor, worship leader, and the congregation before anyone has a chance to complain. You’ll be building trust, creating a happier work environment, and you’ll discover the nuances of working in a church production environment.
- Learn the crucial work which occurs outside of the sound booth. You’ll learn the important aspects of professional live audio production so you are producing high quality results.
What You’ll Receive:
- Each chapter, in this 36 Chapter (330+ page) ebook, details exactly what you need to know, why you need to know it, and how you can apply it. You’ll develop confidence in every area of audio production.
- A step-by-step guide that walks you through setting up the stage, stepping into the sound booth, and going through the entire mixing process.
- Pictures and audio examples you need for a clear understanding of a given topic. For example, you’ll hear the results of phase problems caused by microphone orientations.
- Chapter assignments which give you ways of applying the chapter’s content to your unique situation. And chapter quizzes for re-enforcing what you have learned.
- One of the most important discoveries since the beginning of time…all of the unspoken audio production needs and expectations of everyone within the church walls. You’ll find out how to create an amazing worship environment while you have the support of the worship leader, the musicians, and the pastor.
- The technical knowledge to say “yes, I know what all those knobs do.”
You’ll Also Get 9 Bonus Resources ($75 Value):
- The 12 Steps to the Sound Check: Avoid missing crucial details with this sound check cheatsheet.
- The Mixing Checklist: A handy reference guide for establishing your distinct mix week-after-week.
- The Church Service Checklist: It covers everything from your mixing work to what you need to be doing throughout the week to who you need to talk to before and after the service.
- Two Full Band Frequency Charts: Great for quick reference for seeing where instruments fall in the frequency range and the problem frequency areas.
- The Drum Mixing Primer: The primer covers everything from the pieces of the drum kit to mic’ing and mixing both acoustic and electronic drum kits.
- EQ Starting Points: The key frequency ranges for boosting and cutting instruments and vocals. A good place to start when you need a bit of inspiration. Even experienced techs have found this helpful!
- EQ Reference Cards: An easy way to keep track of your EQ settings for each person.
- 18 Tips on the Art of Mixing: Learn my key strategies for creating a great mix no matter what the venue.
- The Service Scorecard: Track your improvement from week-to-week.
What Others Are Saying:
Mike Willis, Sound Tech @ Hope Church
Paul Jollineau, Sound Tech
Rancho Santa Margarita, California
Vernie Neece, Sound Tech @ Christ United Methodist Church
Fort Worth, Texas
Luke Lockett, Sound Tech @ New Wine Church
Isle of Lewis, Scotland
Use as a Step-by-Step Guide
Ever feel like you’re not sure what to do next? Maybe you feel you’re so close to getting everything right but you just miss the mark. I’ve got you covered. You’ll learn each step to take in live church audio production, from microphone selection to the sound check process to active mixing during the service. The guide is arranged so not only will you learn step-by-step but you can easily jump to the right spot in the guide for a quick refresher. PLUS, the bonus Church Service Checklist and Mixing Checklist are great for making sure you haven’t forgotten anything.
What You’ll Learn in Audio Essentials for Church Sound
Complete church audio training is more than using microphones and the mixing board. Successful audio engineers know there is a lot more than microphones, cables, and mixers.
The guide contains six areas of learning:
1. YOUR PURPOSE (Trust me, this is important)
This first chapter is your key to success in church audio production. It took me years to figure this one out on my own. Your purpose is surprisingly simple and not at all what you’d expect.
- Discover how following your purpose helps you meet other people’s expectations.
- Learn how the three-part purpose statement drives your actions, helping you avoid problems before they occur.
- Find out what can happen when you don’t follow the three-part purpose statement.
- Your Purpose
2. SETTING UP THE STAGE (and learning the equipment)
You can’t mix a great sound if you don’t have great sounds coming in. Like the old adage; garbage in equals garbage out.
- Learn the best microphone techniques and why microphone choice is your first step in getting a great sound.
- Learn how to keep the stage volume down for a better mixing environment and better house sound.
- Discover the optimal methods for mixing monitors for musicians.
- Learn how you can set up the stage for easier mixing at the mixing board.
- Learn the technical aspects of everything on the stage!
- Direct Input Boxes
- Amplifiers and Isolation Cabinets
- Stage Safety
- On-stage Communication
- Optimal Channel Assignment Strategy
3. THE ART AND SCIENCE OF CHURCH AUDIO
You work in both the realm of science and creativity when you’re working in church audio, from setting up microphones to mixing the band to…everything!
- Discover how your ears alter how you mix and how to deal with it.
- Learn how you can sculpt the different properties of sound.
- Learn how you can apply your own style of mixing while still giving the congregation a joyful sound!
- How Sound Works
- Decibels, Decibel Meters, and Measurements
- Human Hearing
- Frequencies and the EQ Process
4. THE BOOTH EQUIPMENT
The sound booth is full of equipment which you must know how to use.
- Learn about the major piece of equipment and how it’s used in audio production.
- Find out all about the different types of cables used within the sound booth.
- Learn all about the sound board, from the host of knobs and faders to all of the inputs and outputs. You will master your mixer.
- Common Booth Equipment
- Cables in the Booth
- Signal Flow’
- The Mixer: Every knob, control, output, etc.
5. CREATING THE RIGHT MIX
What if you had a method for creating a solid mix time and time again? I’ve got you covered.
- Learn the process for running a sound check so the musicians get what they need and you have plenty of time for establishing the mix.
- Learn the step-by-step process for creating a general mix and then sculpting that into your own distinct mix. It’s so easy; you’ll be doing it without thinking.
- Discover how active mixing during the service can make the difference between a good mix and a great one.
- Learn the tricks to making the spoken voice sound clear and easy to understand.
- The Sound Check
- The Line Check
- Gain Structure
- Pre / Post Send Settings
- Channel Grouping
- Volume Balancing
- Setting Monitor Mixes
- Basic Equalization
- Creating a Distinct Mix
- Reverb and Delay
- Walking the Room
- ‘A Second Set of Ears
- Active Mixing
- Dealing with Feedback
6. MEETING EXPECTATIONS
You’ve got to make a lot of people happy; the pastor, the worship leader, the musicians, the tech crew, and the congregation. You can do this when you know what they expect of you.
- Learn how meeting expectations isn’t the same as meeting needs and how you can do both.
- Learn the unspoken expectations and how to keep your pastor happy.
- Learn my tips, from over 20 years of mixing church audio, for giving people what they need and expect without having to ask for it.
- Pastors and Leaders
- Worship Leaders and Musicians
- The Congregation
- Technical Director and Crew
Plus, it’s easy to digest!
When it comes to difficult or complex concepts, I make them easy to understand. For example, you’ll learn one of the complexities to mixing music through the creation of award-winning chili. Yes, this is a technical guide but it doesn’t read like a lifeless technical manual.
Brian Gowing, Technical Director @ Fallen Timbers Community Church and Audio / Video consultant
In less than 1 minute, you’ll have INSTANT access to:
- The 36 chapters of audio essentials, so you can learn everything I would personally teach you.
- The step-by-step guide to building your music mix, so you’ll have a solid mix by the time the sound check is over.
- The keys to meeting everyone’s expectations where you’ll learn how you can meet the specific needs of the pastor, the worship leader, the congregation, and MY needs if I was your tech director.
- The 9 bonus documents ($75 Value). These documents will give you the reference material you need as well as give you insight into the art of mixing.
- Over 330 pages of essential information, instantly downloaded to you, that will make you a great resource for your church.
Want to Help Your Team?
Volume discounts are instantly applied when you buy three or more copies. Buying in bulk can save you up to $8 per copy. Technical directors, from California to New Zealand, have purchased copies for their whole team.
My 30-Day ‘No Surprises’ Money Back Guarantee
Audio Essentials for Church Sound has everything you need for producing a solid mix and enabling you to meet everyone’s expectations. You also get the 9 bonuses including; the checklists, the charts, and my 18 Tips on the Art of Mixing. Those 18 tips alone will significantly boost your skill as a sound tech. Pick it up today and I guarantee your next time behind the mixer will be a whole lot better than your last. Find out why Audio Essentials for Church Sound has been sold in nearly 40 countries!
About the Author
Chris Huff has been working in live sound for over 20 years, in roles varying from sound tech to church Technical Director. His web site, behindthemixer.com, has been described as an amazing source of knowledge regarding both audio production training and navigating the unique church environment. He’s often a guest writer for online and print magazines including Church Production Magazine, ProSoundWeb, and Religious Product News.