A highly-respected audio tech recently blogged about the intensity of a particular service and how he was unable to sing during that particular service when he was running sound. My first thought was "how could he ever sing when he's running sound? He's on the job!"
That's a critical statement for me to make. It's also a judgement on his actions.
After that initial thought passed, I asked myself a counter question – "Do I really have to listen to the mix for each song so much that I can't worship?" The first song is usually where the tweaking occurs. 95% of mixing is done during the practice. The other 5% is primarily during the first song as the congregational singing effects the mix (as well as a bit of room dynamic changes due to the presense of people in the sanctuary).
The audio tech of whom I spoke has every right to sing. Based on his reputation, I trust that if he's singing then the mix is already as good as it could get. I am left asking myself the question…"why do I prevent myself from worshipping when the moment is right?"
Do you ever sing when you are running sound? What are your thoughts on this?