I read a short blog from Seth Godin today that immediately made me think about sound tech's and how we behave. Check out his post below and then I'll tell you how we relate.
Title: Childish vs. childlike
- Childlike makes a great scientist.
- Childish produces tantrums.
- Childlike brings fresh eyes to marketing opportunities.
- Childish rarely shows up as promised.
- Childlike is fearless and powerful and willing to fail.
- Childish is annoying.
- Childlike inquires with a pure heart.
- Childish is merely ignored.
In our most wonderful form, sound tech's (me included) are constantly exploring what we can do with sound. No matter if we are using analog or digital mixing boards or computers, we are searching for all the ways we can sweeten a sound. In our most embarrassing moments, we are territorial to a fault. We can fall back on the phrase "because I said so" when we are disagreeing with a band member. We have our own Childish vs. Childlike list.
- Childlike makes a great inventor…a great innovator…a great producer
- Childish produces animosity between us and the musicians
- Childlike means we don't allow ourselves to think in terms of existing limitations.
- Childish says the show starts whenever we arrive.
- Childlike is fearless and powerful and willing to fail. (ok, seth just nailed it on this one)
- Childish gets us a bad reputation.
- Childlike asks for help.
- Childish gets us no respect.
- Childlike leads to success of the team (us and them).
Question: What is Your Best Quality You Bring To Your Job?